Google+ Followers

Monday, April 16, 2012

Untitled Art Quilt

Writing about not being able to choose a project made it possible for me to actually pick one of them and start moving. This one doesn't have a name yet, but that will change.

I had pieced a background out of green and brown fabrics quite a while ago. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. It isn't random piecing, but it also is not a pattern and that is what I wanted. I never took a picture of it in that stage.

I put some fusible web on the back of several fabrics and cut long, leaf-like strips out of them. This is what the project looked like once they were fused down.

This picture was taken on my ironing board right after the fusing was finished. It isn't a great background for pictures of projects in process.

Some of the leaves didn't fuse down the way I expected and were flopping around loose when this picture was taken.


The next step was to use invisible thread and zig-zag each of the leaves down to the background. I learned that I had to do that from my last fused piece. Things looked loose and frayed when I was done with it. This looks a lot more stable.

I doubt if you can see the difference from them just being fused, but there is a difference seeing them in person. Each leaf is attached to the fabric below.

This photo was taken after I'd couched some of the stems to the piece. I'm going to be adding more of them in brighter colors, or at least I think so. Looking at the photo it is possible I've finished the couching part of the project.

I bought a bulletin board and the piece is now pinned to that. It makes it a lot easier to really see and I can look at it across the room. But mostly there is no distracting pattern behind it.

I think it is going to need borders. Not sure how I'll do that, but I will figure something out.

Take care all.



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! It reminds me of summer grass. I like how it is not overly structured, but has a beautful, almost absract flow to it.

    ReplyDelete