Monday, June 4, 2012

Pillows for the Living Room

After hemming and hawing and just not being able to get my act together, I finally sewed these two pillow tops this morning. I had made the braid months ago, and didn't know what I wanted to do with it. I knew I did not want a quilt. And suddenly this morning I realized there was enough for two pillows, and not just one. After a bit more thinking about it this is what I came up with.

 I am very happy with how these came out. They need to be made a bit smaller and they need to be quilted. There is just one problem. I don't have the skills to quilt them yet. I'm working on that, but I'm not there yet.

They aren't exactly the same as is obvious from these two photos. But they look so elegant and I don't want to ruin them. So here is another project that is going to be put away until I'm comfortable enough with free motion quilting that I'm willing to take a chance on them.

I need to come up with another small project where I can just work on free motion quilting until I am comfortable with it. Working on the wonky 5 sided log cabin was a lot of fun and I am so much better at free motion than I was when I started. So I need to find another "throw away" project to work on while I continue to get the skills I want to have.

The problem, you see, is perfectionism. I've got it bad. And when something comes out as good as these two pillow tops came out, it just makes it worse.

There are some techniques in what is being called Modern Quilting that I want to try. I've sent for a book from Amazon that will arrive Wednesday in the late afternoon. I already know one of the easier techniques from Craftsy.com's Block of the Month Class. And I just might try it.

Take care all

No comments:

Post a Comment