I didn't expect this project to move as fast as it has. I enjoy basting the hexagons while I am watching TV. In fact I need to stop because my arm is beginning to hurt more than I stop because I'm bored. I know I'm not making a Grandmother's Flower Garden, but wasn't sure what I wanted to do. I've seen some small quilts made out of squares that are actually value or color studies, and I wondered if I could do that with the hexagons.
So at first I had this. A few basted hexagons and a few more that had been cut out, but not basted.
A few days later I had what is in the second photo. And yes, it looked like I could do that color and value study with them. At the point the photo was taken I had a lot of yellow and some blue ad a few green and brown hexagons And a total of 3 that were orange.
I've cut out a lot more. More dark colors. I've found a few more orange scraps in the stash. I've started cutting the red fabrics. So this second photo is not what the project is going to look like once it is finished. In fact, I've pulled the hexagons that are finished out of the configuration in the photo.
I'll try this again once more of the hexagons are done. What I am hoping for is a group of very light fabrics from several color ways, not just yellow, in the center and a rainbow for the middle ranges with the dark fabrics on the outside. I have some very dark blue and at least one, possibly two, blacks. It is very likely that the outer ring will be those two fabrics with maybe a very dark green and/or brown to fill in.
I'm not sure how big this will be. I'm not sure if I will try to finish it with the hexagons as the outer edge or if I will applique it to a large piece of solid neutral fabric. Or just borders. I've already pulled one hexagon out because it won't work, and I'll probably be doing that with a second. But that white and red hexagon just might find itself back once the red fabrics show up.
Take care all.