Sunday, April 29, 2012

Making Progress


I've got my first block. I took pictures of one of the final units and then the entire block. I didn't have an extra final unit when I took the pictures.






For one thing, I'll never do a project like this without making a sample block first. Right now the points on the block look good, but I have this strange feeling that they aren't going to look good when I put the blocks into the project.

For another, I've spent my life READING about various needlework projects, but not doing that many of them. And I've reached the point where I need to stop reading and start doing.

I take classes at Craftsy.com, and I'm enrolled in a free Block of the Month Class. My next traditional quilting project is going to be to make the monthly blocks. They are up to April, with May's class due in a day or two. I'll finish this project and buy some fabric for that one and I'm going to actually make those blocks.

The Block of the Month Class is a technique class. Two new techniques every month resulting in a set of blocks for a sampler quilt. Sampler quilts used to be very common back when I first started being interested in quilting, but I never made one. Time to make one.

I like a scrapy look. The bed scarf is going to be very planned. But I'll buy a background fabric and one or two other fabrics for the Block of the Month quilt, and just make sure my scraps fall into a color scheme. I think I'm going to have to avoid the blues and purples I tend to like the best and which belong in the bedroom for this new quilt. I'm going to enjoy looking for fabrics that are quite different going forward.

More photos when more of this project is together. Take care all.

1 comment:

  1. Love the colors and pattern, Stella. You do such neat work.

    ReplyDelete