Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Quilting

This time I have a picture!


At this point this improvisational quilt is spray basted and almost ready to be machine quilted. I fell in love with a very complicated large quilt in a book, and this is just a simple version. But it was fun to put something together without a pattern.

I've never spray basted anything before. I was shocked at how easy that was. Even for me with a bad back. Pin basting never looks this good, the pins get in the way all the wrong times. And it takes so much longer and just plain hurts to do. I do see a few spots in the picture where I need to do some smoothing, and the quilt needs to be ironed too. That heat sets the entire sandwich according to Ann Peterson who runs two of the three machine quilting classes I've taken at Craftsy. I would never have had the guts to try this technique without that last class where she demonstrates it.

I'm finally figuring out how to deal with larger amounts of fabric without going crazy. Cutting the backing and the batting for this quilt wasn't all that hard to do with the space I had to do it in. Which is a very good thing, because if I actually make all of the Civil War blocks I'm going to end up with something huge!

No comments:

Post a Comment