Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Projects



I've started working on my projects again.

I had cut fabric for a practice piece for a Craftsy.com free motion quilting class before Joe died. I've just begun to put the borders on. That is my new ironing board and this was the first time I'd used it.

I bought the class months ago. It is one of several free motion classes I've purchased. Between the classes and several books and a couple of web pages, I've learned a lot. There was no way I could have done the class project back when I first bought the class, but now I can, so I'm beginning to put together the quilt top for that project.


I've made two much smaller projects from the Stupendous Stitches class on Craftsy.com. I'd mounted this piece of fabric on stiff fusible interfacing months ago before I did the two smaller projects. I decided to begin this one about a week or two ago. At this point I've got the couching done. Those are the thick lines, and I've done the machine embroidery stitches. I'm ready to start the hand stitches, I think. But maybe not quite yet, so it got put aside while I think about it.



In the meantime I've been doing hand embroidery on this piece. It got put away unfinished several months ago. I just did not know what to do next.

This isn't a class project, but I learned how to do the various parts of the project in several different Craftsy.com classes.

The background is a sort of improvisational piecing from the free BOM class. The raw edge applique is from Art Quilts 101, and all the rest is from Stupendous Stitches.


Here is a detail of what I actually did decide to do. It has a bunch of French knots and lazy daisy stitches. And some ribbon embroidery too.


I've stopped again and the piece is up on the bulletin board along with the blue one. I'm pretty sure it is finished this time, but I need to back it, decide if I'm doing any quilting on it and if so do the quilting, and decide how I'm finishing up the edges.

I like the way it looks right now, so I might just declare it finished.

Or maybe not.



One of the email newsletters I get is starting a Mystery Quilt. And I am tempted. I've played with some improvisational quilting, but not much. And that is what this will be. Like I said, I'm tempted.

Take care all.







4 comments:

  1. I love the piece on the bottom with the various shades of green, my favourite colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. That one is closest to being finished and I'm much happier with it than I was when I put it away the last time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stella,
    I love your pieces. Nice work. I'm signed up for all those same craftsy classes but haven't even made the class projects. you've done a fantastic job of using what you learned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm backtracking on one of the class projects myself. I've signed up for more classes than I've actually worked, so I've decided to get some of the class projects done before I go any further.

    ReplyDelete