Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Artist's Way

I'm about to start another round of THE ARTIST'S WAY. I've finished the introductions and I'm into the chapter on the basic tools, which are Morning Pages and Artist's Dates.

I've had a very easy time with Morning Pages. I have journaled for decades, but in several different ways. Both on computer and by hand. So moving to a by hand, in the recliner, first thing in the morning, with a cup of coffee method was pretty easy. I do my three pages and then I work through one or two books. Right now those books are GRIEVING GOD'S WAY by Margaret Brownley and THE ARTIST'S WAY by Julia Cameron.

GRIEVING GOD'S WAY is just two pages a day, a very easy read. Mostly common sense but putting a focus on one thing a day is a good way to deal with grief. I decided I liked the book pretty quickly, and I know I like it even better now that I'm about 1/3 through it.

I've done THE ARTIST'S WAY once before. I always knew I'd come back and do it again. This book, and this system is all about unblocking creativity, and I'm hoping for uncovering another layer of whatever is blocking me. The system works. I'm quilting. I'm blogging. But I'm still not drawing or painting. And I don't spend as much time on quilting as I would like to.

The problem with the last round of THE ARTIST'S WAY was Artist's Dates. This time I started a list. I made a list of what I knew about and then went online. I now have 3 pages a lot of which do not require that I leave the house. That can be a very good thing in a Pennsylvanian winter.

Now, back to the sewing machine. I'm working my way through embellishments on the major motifs right now. Pictures to come for a later post.


No comments:

Post a Comment