I've done some free motion this week. The larger inner strip on Coins is finished. I'm not too happy with the pattern I used on the lower section, but now that I've also quilted the bottom border, it actually doesn't look too bad or too out of place.
This border is one I've used before. Leah Day taught it last year (I think) as one of the designs she was using in sashing. I just love it and it tends to turn out pretty well no matter where I use it.
The other thing I've been doing is an additional, somewhat larger, colored pencil practice piece. I'm still working on the fabric I use to warm up and try things out on when I'm doing free motion quilting.
I drew the apple in pencil, and quilted on the line. I don't quilt on lines very well, so having some practice doing that is useful. I also wonder how a more sketchy look would work out. If I went around more than once.
I used the same dark beige thread I'm using on the Coin Quilt. I do wonder if I'd like a black or dark gray thread better, especially with a more sketchy look. It is time to go and see if I've got plain white fabric in the house and make up an actual project sandwich. And if not I need to go and buy some.
In the Craftsy class the teacher used some light colored blotchy fabrics that read like batiks, but probably aren't. I have some pink fabric already put out for what was supposed to be the class project, but since I seem to want to do flowers and fruit right now and not a portrait, I don't think it is the right fabric.
I think that what I'd like to do is a classic Baltimore Album pattern, in pencils instead of applique. Not sure how that will go. Not sure I own the right kind of book for that. I know I used to, but I've culled a lot of things out of the bookshelves to make room for other things. Lots of things to think about right now.
Take care all.